April 5, 2011
Bridal and Baby Showers are almost always lovely — some more extravagant than others. I was recently at The Milton Inn in Sparks, Maryland for my cousin Jill’s wedding shower. And until then, I can’t remember the last time I have taken a full afternoon to just lunch with the ladies.
No silly games, no embarrassing stories for Jill. Just fellowship…for her (as she made her way among the tables to visit with everyone) ..and for us.. (of course I lost track of how much coffee I sipped).
With a big family like the one from which my mom and Jill’s dad originate (12 siblings), family functions are lively and meaningful. But twice a year gatherings are not enough. Bring on more weddings! More baby showers! I could get used to “Lunching with the Aunties” on a regular basis.
January 2, 2011
It really is the little things that make life wonderful. Such a trite phrase, I know. But I keep coming back to it. Perhaps I am particularly reflective this holiday season…with the good fortune of having a birthday (and a big one this year!) so close to January 1st. What I’ve been pondering most of all is how the little decisions, little details, little subtleties in life really do make a difference – and in some cases — add up to BIG consequences.
– Will I get up 3x/week for 6 AM bootcamp?
– If I actually sit down to practice piano with my 5 year old – what a difference it makes.
– Watching a husband grow into his own personal style is quite gratifying.
– Birthday celebrations don’t need to include elaborate parties.. a carefully planned barbie cake and a trip to the movies with our little family are just as magical.
– A new glimmery eyeshadow can make all the difference on an important evening.
– There is no good do-it-yourself substitute for a decent pedicure.
– The press conference will not be seamless if you fail to work back the timing and message of each individual component.
And on and on and on…..all relatively random. All little, yet not so.
In 2011 I will embark on uncovering, showcasing, and celebrating more Little Things in life…..with a few big &*@#^! deals thrown in along the way.