June 27, 2011
At the House of Klause we celebrate Halfy birthdays. I mean, why not? Aren’t our loved ones worth celebrating more than once a year? We don’t go overboard. In fact, it’s my Halfy birthday and all I received is a rousing rendition of “Halfy Birthday.” My six year old, she’ll demand more in 4 days when hers arrives.
Halfy birthdays actually provide good reflection time as well. While the last six months have been filled with birthday celebrations with all my girlfriends (as witnessed by photos below), our true milestones haven’t *really* changed yet. Two of my best friends just had babies, another is running her first marathon. Professionally, I am in a great spot! Kids are thriving. Parents are healthy. Life is full. This truly is the sweet spot of life.
January 2, 2011
It really is the little things that make life wonderful. Such a trite phrase, I know. But I keep coming back to it. Perhaps I am particularly reflective this holiday season…with the good fortune of having a birthday (and a big one this year!) so close to January 1st. What I’ve been pondering most of all is how the little decisions, little details, little subtleties in life really do make a difference – and in some cases — add up to BIG consequences.
– Will I get up 3x/week for 6 AM bootcamp?
– If I actually sit down to practice piano with my 5 year old – what a difference it makes.
– Watching a husband grow into his own personal style is quite gratifying.
– Birthday celebrations don’t need to include elaborate parties.. a carefully planned barbie cake and a trip to the movies with our little family are just as magical.
– A new glimmery eyeshadow can make all the difference on an important evening.
– There is no good do-it-yourself substitute for a decent pedicure.
– The press conference will not be seamless if you fail to work back the timing and message of each individual component.
And on and on and on…..all relatively random. All little, yet not so.
In 2011 I will embark on uncovering, showcasing, and celebrating more Little Things in life…..with a few big &*@#^! deals thrown in along the way.